Thursday, 26 November 2015

15mm Modern Russian's War In Chechnya

Hello,
I have some Russians to show today not many but it's a start ! I have always had an interest in the Russian/Soviet armed forces and the war in Chechnya was something I watched unfold . The miniatures themselves are from Eureka Miniatures and are supplied here in the UK by Fighting 15's here in the UK .
  They are very nice sculpts with little flash and moldlines, the Russians come in two types there are the standard infantry you can use them as infantry, airborne or naval infantry they are armed with RPG 7, RPG 18 they have AK 74 some with folding stock . They all have steel helmets its up to you if you paint them in covers . Most have standard webbing (if anything is standard in the Russian MOD) . The other units are MVD they have the sphere helmets with chest riggs and are armed with the MOD weapons .
I have painted them in different uniforms as they wore a multitude of different types so some have melon pattern camouflage with the yellow/orange jackets and trousers . The webbing I left light green with buff tabs and reinforcing. The AK74 is painted with both the wood and brown plastic grips and magazines and an added touch some have tapped an added magazine to the existing one .
 The Russian armed forces are supplied with a variety of weapons and equipment so you can really mix it up . I will say when I paint cammo in 15mm I only represent it I think the background colour is the most important as that is what can be seen across the table .
All the base's are PVA and fine sand and flooring cork painted as concrete and rubble with cut up staples to show rusted metal . The only thing I might change in future urban bases is mixing in larger diameter sand to make it more rubble strewn .
  That's it, now back to my naps hope you are making steady progress on your projects until next time......
All the best Gavin .





15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers Phil thanks for dropping by !
      Regards Gavin .

      Delete
  2. Great work Gavin! Looks very interesting.

    Kurtus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kurtus I need about thirty more figures and some vehicles the terrain is coming along .
      Cheers Gav .

      Delete
  3. Very nice once again Gav - and I particularly like your basing on these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Phil, I was caught between to little and to much rubble I didn't want to loose the figures in them .
    Regards Gav .

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colours really ping in the photographs, you can really see the excellent paint job. Guess for now a blog post will have to accompany each YT video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for all your help Ian the next video should be a Oscar performance !
      Cheers Gav .

      Delete
  6. Wow you have been busy, saw you posting last night and have started my Chechnya defenders, very much playing catch up.
    Cheers
    Stu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Stu,
    That's all I have for now I will get some more with my next fighting 15's order .
    Regards Gav

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough for a scenario I have in mind, once I get my first batch complete.
      Cheers
      Stu

      Delete
  8. nice work gav I painted 1 up last night they are nice to paint I have 2 spare basic russians with ak74 if u want them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the kind words Dane, thanks for the offer of the Russians you can never have to many !
    Regards Gav .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gav what colours did you use? It would be good to try and follow your tunic pattern?
    Cheers stu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stu if you are talking about the yellow type jackets I used brown ochre as a base with grades of yellow ochre . If you look at some of the jackets (in pictures) some dyes are dark some are light and I tried to represent that . I applied very thin us field drab and cork brown to bring down some of the yellow/orange look .
    But as I have said I wanted them to be clean looking to stand out from each the base . And the fur collar was Luftwaffe blue or grey blue with a light grey high lite .
    Sorry I can't help more I really messed around with these first ones to get a colour I liked .
    Cheers Gav .

    ReplyDelete