Tuesday, 23 December 2014

Snake Rail Fence

  As I mentioned in my last post I am planning to get a 6mm Union army from Baccus . So I thought I would start producing some basic terrain as and when I have a spare five minutes . I have begun with some snake rail fencing . I have made them from the usual match sticks, ice lolly sticks, gravel, sand, torn sponge with some static grass . I painted them with Vallejo paints (german cammo brown and dry brush with silver grey) I matt varnished them with Windsor and Newton Gallaria matt varnish . PVA glue holds it all together, I did try hot glue but working with match sticks I found it more trouble than it's worth .
Now I know they are not to scale and they could easily  be used for 15mm as well . And I did try to cut the match sticks down further and that does give it a cleaved look but it also cleaved my fingers at the same time . I also think leaving them as they are they site together a lot better and I belive when looking down on them from above and at a distance they would not be to out of place .
   So bellow are some test ones in all their splender just waiting for one army or the other to hack them down and use them as fire wood . I plan to make forty or fifty to begin with, I would like to try some post and rail fences but the experiment hasn't proved successful so far .
There will be more to come if I still have my fingers left !
Regards Furphy .


  1. Great job, they look fantastic!

  2. Cheers Phil,
    I have added an extra layer on some of the others so when they are painted up I will put up a photo . As always Phil thank you for your kind words .
    Regards Furphy .